Wednesday, May 16, 2007

CBS Stays the Course

It's CBS' turn at the upfronts.

CBS is currently the 'most watched' network, winning in total viewers and households. They're #2 in the coveted Adults 18-49, behind FOX. Will the '07-'08 season be the year they catch up? Probably not. Will this be the year they try a lineup packed with innovation and bold moves? Not even close.

MON - HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER, THE BIG BANG THEORY, TWO AND A HALF MEN, RULES OF ENGAGEMENT, CSI: MIAMI - Only one new show on a night of decent success. BANG was originally called THE IT GROUP or THE IT CLUB, I can't remember - and all traces of the original title have been erased from the internet. It's about computer geeks (the I.T. guys) who are dating chicks out of their league.

TUE - NCIS, THE UNIT and CANE - CANE stars Jimmy Smits and is about a family Rum business.

WED - KID NATION, CRIMINAL MINDS and CSI: NY - A reality show that transplants LORD OF THE FLIES to the Old West, and two shows I don't watch.

THUR - SURVIVOR: CHINA, CSI and WITHOUT A TRACE - SURVIVOR's fading and TRACE returns to its original time slot.

FRI - GHOST WHISPERER, MOONLIGHT and NUMB3RS - Jennifer Love Hewitt's bosom helps spirits rest in peace, a vampire plays detective (but he's not Angel, so who cares?) and math.

SAT - CRIMETIME SATURDAY and 48 HOURS MYSTERY - reruns and a newsmag.

SUN - 60 MINUTES, VIVA LAUGHLIN, COLD CASE and SHARK - VIVA is based on a BBC miniseries and is a musical. I'm going to have to unleash the search engine in my TiVo to find VIVA BLACKPOOL on BBC America. Hugh Jackman is involved - could be genius, could be COP ROCK.

I don't think there's anything here for me. Not even JLH's bosom will make me sit through a predictable CBS drama.

Someday, I'll find time to watch HOW I MET YOUR STEPMOTHER, but we're not there yet.

CBS has no chance of catching FOX next year (FOX has the Super Bowl). But they'll still win in households - although I'm not sure why that matters - houses don't buy anything, people do.

More to come....

No comments: