Sunday, June 17, 2007

Evan Almighty Spolied For All

I don't get it.

I just don't get it.

Have you seen the latest spots for EVAN ALMIGHTY? The latest can be seen at the film's official site.

The early marketing for what may be a cute, clever followup to BRUCE ALMIGHTY featured STEVE CARRELL (voice of Hammy in OVER THE HEDGE and star of THE FORTY YEAR OLD VIRGIN) as a reluctant modern day Noah. In these spots, his character was obviously struggling with the validity of his mission, changes in his appearance, and the arrival of lots and lots of pairs of animals who were eager to help build his ark.

These spots highlighted Evan's reluctance to accept his mission, his wife's embarrassment at the situation and the animals. Cute, funny stuff punctuated with Evan's line: "Is it too much to ask for a LITTLE PRECIPITATION?"

We're left to wonder whether or not the rain will ever come, whether Evan's faith will be rewarded.

Well, worry no more.

New spots for the film have started to air that features shots of the ark white water rafting through city streets, sloshing in between skyscrapers while the generic cityscape is drowned in untold depths of water.

I no longer need to see this film. I know how it ends.

It floods.

I swear to all things promotional - I would wager my house that some airhead in a focus group expressed dimwitted concern about Evan's quandary. And I would wager YOUR house that some dimwitted suit at - wait for it - NBC/UNIVERSAL figured they'd better allay those fears by giving away the ending while highlighting those expensive special effects they paid for and were hiding from the public.

When I started writing this I had no idea what studio was distributing this film. And now that I do... I get it.

Why do SO many things that suck come from the desk of Mr. Zucker?

Would it be too much to ask for a LITTLE INTELLIGENCE????

Fire Zucker, save the studio.

No comments: