Thursday, July 13, 2006

Emmy Noms: Weak Laughs, High Anxiety & Ennui

Quickly, let's run through the Emmy acting nods. Time is precious this week.

Lead Actor - Comedy - You know...there's just not a lot of Lead Acting by guys to go around this season. I'm sure the actors nominated have done well, but I've never seen any of these shows. Guess I'm just watching too many scripted dramas lately. So, no comment.

Lead Actress - Comedy - Kaczmarek is the only actress I've seen of late, and I think her character became a bit too one dimensional towards the end of MALCOLM to merit this nom. Other than that, I don't care.

Lead Actor - Drama - Now we're talking. Excuse me, academy, but where the hell is Hugh Laurie's nom? You DO realize he's a British actor playing an American jerk of a doctor, don't you? Somehow, I suspect the viewing tapes for HOUSE should have been labelled "That's not how he really talks" Cool to see Keifer get a nod, but I dont' think he'll win. Marting Sheen will probably score a very PC one-two win to go along with his son Charlie in the comedy category. Won't that be sweet?

Lead Actress - Drama - Don't watch any of these, can't say.

Supporting Actor - Comedy - Totally surprised to G.O.B. scoring a nomination here! But I'd much rather see the statue go to Cranston. Hal was the heart of MALCOLM. Cranston cranked out some incredibly brave performances along the run of the series. The man is simply fearless when it comes to what he is willing to subject himself to for a few laughs.

Supporting Actress - Comedy - Man, it's a weak year for comedy, ain't it?

Supporting Actor - Drama - Gregory Itzin's weasel of a prez deserves to win this hands down. The supporting cast of 24 was so strong this year!

Supporting Actress - Drama - Which leads us to Jean Smart. I so want to see this duo take home the trophies.

I'm surprised Omar Epps didn't get a nom. I'm not surprised the cast of GILMORE GIRLS was left out - what a crappy year for that show. But by far, the biggest omission is Hugh Laurie. The man is brilliant.

Agree? Disagree? Discuss!

No comments: