Saturday, July 08, 2006

It's Not TV. It's 24.

The Emmy nominations were announced earlier this week, and now that we've all had some time to digest the list I suppose it's time to put in my two cents.

My first reaction was to note that once again HBO dominates the other networks in total nominations with 95 - that's more nominations than NBC and CBS combined. But it's not really an apples to apples comparison, is it? After all, as they say, it's not TV. It's HBO.

The second thing I noticed, was that while ABC led the broadcast networks with 63 noms, for a second year FOX is has closed the gap with the more established nets, scoring 41 nominations compared to NBC's and CBS' 47.

That's significant.

The 'Big 3' nets each program 22 hours per week. FOX supplies 15 hours. So let's do some math, shall we?

ABC earned 2.86 nominations per hour programmed. NBC and CBS scored 2.14. FOX passed them by scoring a 2.73.

Last year, with ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT scoring multiple nominations, FOX scored 3.33.

What's my point? I suppose it's this - the network that has a reputation for shock and awe reality like WHEN ANIMALS ATTACK and WHO WANTS TO MARRY A MILLIONAIRE? is actually proucing more quality programs per hour than the so called Tiffany network, CBS.

And the network that once derided FOX's early reliance on unscripted fare, NBC, has now succombed to the beast itself. THE APPRENTICE, LAST COMIC STANDING, THE BIGGEST LOSER, don't seem to be Must See TV in America's or the critcs' eyes.

Moving on to specifics, the show with the most nominations this year is 24. Huh? I mean, it's riveting television, but 12 nominations? Wow.

BEST DRAMA - HOUSE, 24, GREY'S ANATOMY, THE SOPRANOS and THE WEST WING.

THE SOPRANOS season was not its best, but I'm not going to argue the nom - but THE WEST WING? Really? Was it really better than the incredibly mystifying and addictive season two of LOST? Hardly.

BEST COMEDY - ARRESTD DEVELOPMENT, CURB YOUR ENTHUSIASM, THE OFFICE, SCRUBS and TWO AND A HALF MEN

Another wow. Apparently, I'm not watching the best comedies on TV anymore. Apart from ARRESTED, I have never seen an episode of any of the nominated programs. And I watch a LOT of TV, people. A ridiculous amount of TV. It's like cocaine for me. How is it, I'm not watching any of these shows? Could it be that they're on opposite some of the best dramas on TV? Yep, that would be the reason! Oh well, that means I'll be pulling for ARRESTED to score a second win here. The finale was simply brilliant. Annyong!

Of note, EVERYBODY LOVES RAYMOND didn't get a curtain call nod, but ARRESTED did. Hmm.

Later in the week, I'll ruminate a bit about the acting nominees and what might be a change in the tide in the Vareity/Music/Comedy category.

'Til then!

No comments: